Saturday, February 25, 2006

Strawberry Cake... Yum!

Well, Tomorrow is my mom's birthday. (I won't disclose her age, though it's much younger than many of you out there are probably thinking, considering she's got a 28 year old daughter.)

Anyway, we're having her and Rickey (her bf) over for supper. Nothing fancy, just Homemade Pizza. But I'm also making her birthday cake. I make a (from scratch) Strawberry cake that is just to die for!!!

So I stopped at the store and picked up some fresh strawberries on the way home from her house this morning. I've got one baggie full of frozen berries from last summer which works fine considering they need to be mashed anyway. I just make sure to drain off the excess juice that comes with thawing them. But I like to have fresh berries to decorate the cake with.

If anyone is interested, I thought I'd post the recipe here for all to enjoy:

Fresh Strawberry Cake

1/2 cup butter or margarine (softened)
1-1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp sour cream
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup mashed strawberries
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup icing sugar
250ml Nutri whip

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13" baking pan. (I use 2-8" round cake pans instead.)

In a large bowl, cream together 1/2 cup butter and the white sugar. Add the eggs and beat for 1 min. Stir in vanilla and salt then add flour.

In a small bowl, stir together the sour cream and the baking soda till the soda is dissolved. Add small bowl to the large bowl and beat well. Stir in mashed berries.

Pour the batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 or until top springs back when lightly touched. Let cake cool then completely.

ICING: whip nutri whip per package directions until peaks form, then add icing sugar and whip another minute or so.

TIP: I also mash and use any extra strawberries I have and mix them in with the Nutriwhip Icing. It gives a MUCH stronger strawberry flavour. I only tried this the last time I made it, but I absolutely loved it!! If you decide not to do that, you can add a drop or two of red food colouring to my icing to give a pretty pink colour. I also slice fresh strawberries in 1/2,1/4 and 1/8 and decorate the cake with them, makes it look and taste delicious.

YUMMY, YUMMY, Enjoy!

(I'll try and remember to take a pic of it once I've made it and I'll post the pic here as well)

No comments:

Some (but not all) blinkies adopted from:

Others found randomly around the net and put here to use for my own nefarious purposes! Muahahahaha. (*J/K*)